Thursday, March 5, 2009

Idea for One Block West

Ok chef Ed, this one is for you!

Today in class, we made the most interesting combination that was very good. I wasn't able to take pictures because I think my camera is out of service for the time being, so imagination is needed.

First, take olives, kalamata would be great, the ones we used today were random. Make sure the seeds are out, and finely chop them up. Spread them evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and dust the top op the olives with powdered sugar. Roast in a 200-225 degree over for about 45 minutes, until the olives are dried out.

Next, temper white chocolate. Once the chocolate is tempered, spread with an offset spatula onto parchment paper and sprinkle the olives on top. Flash freeze, or refrigerate until the chocolate is hard. 

Gorgonzola cheese is next. Cut into small cubes and place on individual tea spoons. Take a piece of the chocolate and place on top of the gorgonzola. Serve!

This was such an interesting combination of flavors, and I was very nervous about how the flavors would work, but I was pleasantly surprised. Ed, I am not sure which wine would be pared well with this, but I know that your knowledge will lead you in the right direction. It would be great for a tasting menu or as an amuse. Let me know what you think!

As for the rest of you readers, school is amazing, to say the least. I am enjoying this so much and really interested in the next day when today is over. I look forward to class, read my text with enthusiasm and can't wait to share all this food with the ones I love. 

Ciao Bella

1 comment:

Chef Ed said...

Sounds interesting. White chocolate is essentially fat and has relatively little flavor, so you're really talking about olives and salty cheese, which we know work together really well. And salt and white chocolate, think about pretzels dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with salt. Excellent combination.

Here's a crazy one for you. Make a mousse of smoked salmon and let small truffle shapes of it set up in the cooler. Then coat with chocolate. Eat as a truffle. The flavors are crazy, but they work.

Can't find you on Facebook. I'm out there and and the restaurant is out there.