Friday, April 3, 2009

Versailles- Tre Belle

Today we went to Versailles, and it was so incredible! Here is a bit of history for those of you that are unfamiliar with this historical monument in Paris. It is every kings dream palace, and truly is a beautiful mansion for the royal. Louis XIV and his court lived in this palace, along with his wife, Marie-Antoinette. The rooms, which there are several, are decorated to a tee, with rich colors and decadent fabrics. I was jaw dropped and stunned through the whole place, and although I was there for 6+ hours, I didn’t see everything.

When I woke up this morning, there was a cute dark haired girl at the dinning room table, and I introduced myself. Her name is Danielle, and her boyfriend Tommy went to school with Greg at UCI. They are also in Paris this week, visiting Greg and sight seeing. She asked if I wanted to go to Versailles with them, and I was very excited! I didn’t have a plan for the day, and anything with company sounded perfect, so I got dressed and we headed out.

After a few minutes of walking, we stopped for breakfast. Crepes! I decided on egg and cheese, which also had lettuce and tomato, and it was the perfect breakfast; inexpensive and filling!

After we sat and ate for a bit, we headed to the metro station to catch a ride to Versailles. It is about a 25-minute ride, so we shared a little and read the important info from the Europe Travel God, otherwise known as Rick Steve’s. He sure is helpful, and for those of you wanting to travel someday, I highly suggest his books! They are a lifesaver, and a money saver, and a time saver………

Anyways, we got off the metro at the last stop and wandered up the hill to the gates of Versailles. It is absolutely stunning, with shinny gold fixtures and large, extravagant entrances. I was amazed! I went in to buy my tickets, and decided to buy the museum pass for two days, which means that I can enter almost every museum for the next two days for free. This was a great deal, just around 30 Euros.

So, we started in the Main Palace, ooing and awing at every room, with the lavish draperies, and extravagant furniture and décor. It truly makes you feel as though you’re in the presence of royalty, and I couldn’t stop clicking pictures! It was truly spectacular.

After walking through the palace, we exited to the gardens, which are even more of a sight to see. Everything is trimmed so proper, with exact hedges and trees; it seemed as though no leaf was out of place. We ate a Panini, made with a baguette, which makes it more French rather then Italian, and sat on a bench, watching the people pass. After lunch, we went down to rent bikes so we could ride through the gardens, and even though this is a faster mode of transportation then by foot, we still didn’t cover everything!

We rode up to the top, where the house built especially for the queen still sits, and toured through it. Very beautiful as well.

Out behind the house, there are a set of four or five little French houses, which make up a sweet little villa around the pond. These were the most adorable I have seen, and truly made me feel as though I was part of ancient history in France, and they were so quaint and sweet. In the middle of all the cottages, there was a pond, filled with large catfish and goldfish, ducks and a few swans. Absolutely beautiful, the most perfect place for a picnic with the one you love. I will come back again.

Danielle and Tommy made dinner, chicken Parmesan and pasta, and it was tasty! I complimented her, and although she knows I cook, I told her it was better, because I didn’t have to cook, it was a nice treat!

More adventures to come soon, tomorrow we visit The Eiffel Tower, and the Louvre, and more. Ciao Bella, I miss you all

No comments: